We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated team player to join as a Governance Lead responsible to the Executive Management Team. This is an exciting position which has been created with the expansion of the organisation in mind and a commitment to achieving regulatory compliance. It is a perfect role for someone who is willing to join the team and is eager to grow with the Association as governance is embedded throughout the organisation.
The candidate will play a key role in ensuring the Association is on top of its regulatory duties and where possible adapting best practice. Whether it is assisting the Director Operations, supporting the Company Secretary and Chair, or working with Board members, the candidate will play a vitally important role. ASHA recognise governance is as much about working with people as it is about following rules and procedures. You will help to drive the Association’s governance, HR, scrutiny, risk management, audit and regulation. This role requires great communication and organisational skills, a passion for working with others, the ability to challenge and interrogate, provide robust advice and guidance and work accurately in a fast-paced environment. The post holder will need to be resilient, focussed and knowledgeable in these specialisms.
ASHA manages its financial affairs in an efficient and effective manner. The post-holder should therefore be committed to a teamwork approach and be prepared to help as necessary. Experience in a previous social housing governance role would be useful, but a positive attitude and a willingness to work effectively within a small team is essential. The successful candidate will have a strong attention to detail, as well as being customer focused, and will have a goal oriented delivery. The role will have a four-month probationary period.
To empower the Association to achieve regulatory compliance across the Association’s core activities, always do the right thing, deliver its strategic objectives and protect our social housing assets.
Main duties (not exhaustive)
• Lead an effective Corporate Governance function across the Association including the Board, Committees, Executive Management etc. to ensure governance processes across the organisation are robust (Supporting the Company Secretary).
• Develop positive, successful relationships with Board members, senior leaders, and key stakeholders – supporting them in all aspects of their role so they thrive – navigating complex arrangements is key.
• Enable Board Members to develop the skills and behaviours necessary to be successful Non-Executive Directors including trainings.
• Ensure the Association can meet all of the requirements of the Association’s constitution (NHF Model Rules).
• Ensure the Association can meet all of the requirements of the NHF Code of Governance (currently the 2020 model) and the Governance aspects of the G&FV Standard – including ensuring effective policies, plans and reporting functions are in place.
• Support the Chair of the Tenant Forum for an effective Tenant Forum to fulfil coregulatory requirements and ensure that tenants are at the heart of governance and decision making.
• To further develop and embed an appropriate Risk Management Framework which includes risk registers, assurance mapping, risk appetite work and reporting on risk (including existing and emerging risks and effectiveness of controls).
• Oversee delivery of the annual Internal Audit Plan for the SEA scheme, working closely with the compliance officer and the internal auditors, ensuring that stakeholders (namely the Audit and Risk Committee and Board) receive reliable assurance over internal processes and controls for the scheme.
• To provide administrative/service support for the Governance structure including board and committee meetings, away days etc.
• Maintain the conflicts of interest register.
• Prepare data for regulatory submissions including the Statistical Data Return.
• Assist in the preparation of governance reports for Board and Committees.
• Manage the HR function for the board and staff, including compliance and regulation.
• Ensure all services operate effectively and efficiently on a day to day basis, represent best practice in the sector and that opportunities to further improve operations are identified and delivered.
• Other duties as may be required from time to time.
• A working background in social housing governance roles.
• Experience of using all office applications.
• Demonstration of a wide range of communication skills including excellent writing skills and spoken English.
• A good understanding of the value of customer service
• Managing multiple priorities
• Ability to use computerised accounts
• Good time management and personal organisation
• Ability to pay attention to detail
• Ability to ensure accuracy in all areas of work
• A good understanding of the role of the housing sector
• A young and vibrant mindset
• A commitment to confidentiality and professional and personal integrity
• Availability to reliably work 5 days a week and demonstrate good personal time keeping
• Ability to be flexible
Undergraduate degree (preferred: business, accountancy or similar). Given the nature of tenants, it would be preferred if the candidate has a good understanding of one of the following languages: Arabic, Urdu or Punjabi. A good sense of cultural and faith literacy will also be needed.
Full Time, 9am to 6pm
£28,000.00 – 35,000/year DOE
43-45 Coldharbour Lane, Camberwell, London, SE5 9NR with occasional travel to the Midlands.
If you are interested in this role, please send in your CV and a cover letter to: email@example.com with the job title mentioned in the subject of the email.
A registered social landlord, providing housing through hostels, flats and houses in Lambeth, Southwark, Birmingham and Dudley. Ash-Shahada is a Muslim-led housing association the first of its kind to be established in the UK in 1989.
+44 (0)207 326 7890
+44 (0)207 326 7891
Daily Times House, 43/45, Coldharbour Lane, Camberwell, London, SE5 9NR
Mon - Fri: 09:00am - 17:00pm
Sat - Sun: Closed